An individual who generates content for blogs, either personal or professional. Reasons for being a professional blogger are many: delivering timely commentary; showcasing expertise; engaging with audiences and fellow bloggers; and building personal brands. Some professional bloggers generate levels of esteem and prestige equivalent to that of journalists, an occupation which has also found value in blogging for the above reasons.
Blogger is a blog-publishing service that allows multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. It was developed by Pyra Labs, which was bought by Google in 2003. The blogs are hosted by Google and generally accessed from a subdomain of blogspot.com. Blogs can also be served from a custom domain owned by the user (like www.example.com) by using DNS facilities to direct a domain to Google’s servers. A user can have up to 100 blogs per account.
Up until May 1, 2010, Blogger also allowed users to publish blogs to their own web hosting server, via FTP. All such blogs had to be changed to either use a blogspot.com subdomain, or point their own domain to Google’s servers through DNS.
- Publish your passions, your way: Create a unique and beautiful blog. It’s easy and free.
- Choose the perfect design: Create a beautiful blog that fits your style. Choose from a selection of easy-to-use templates – all with flexible layouts and hundreds of background images – or design something new.
- Get a free domain: Give your blog the perfect home. Get a free blogspot.com domain or buy a custom domain with just a few clicks.
- Earn money: Get paid for your hard work. Google AdSense can automatically display relevant targeted ads on your blog so that you can earn income by posting about your passion.
- Know your audience: Find out which posts are a hit with Blogger’s built-in analytics. You’ll see where your audience is coming from and what they’re interested in. You can even connect your blog directly to Google Analytics for a more detailed look.
- Hang onto your memories: Save the moments that matter. Blogger lets you safely store thousands of posts, photos, and more with Google for free.
- Join millions of others: Whether sharing your expertise, breaking news, or whatever’s on your mind, you’re in good company on Blogger. Sign up to discover why millions of people have published their passions here.
« Back to Glossary Index