Multisite is a WordPress feature which allows users to create a network of sites on a single WordPress installation. Available since WordPress version 3.0, Multisite is a continuation of WPMU or WordPress Multiuser project. WordPress MultiUser project was discontinued and its features were included into WordPress core.
WordPress Multisite Network Features
- You can run a network of multiple WordPress blogs and websites from a single WordPress installation.
- You can have a network of subdomains like http://aaron.example.com or directories like http://www.example.com/john/.
- Open up your WordPress Multisite Network for other users to create an account and get their own WordPress blogs.
- As a Super Admin you can install themes and plugins and make them available to all other sites on the network. However, other site admins on the network will not
- have the capability to install themes or plugins
- As Super Admin you can change make changes to themes for all websites. Website Admins can not make changes to their themes.
« Back to Glossary Index